Plywood vs Dimensional Lumber
- ModelRailroadBenchwork.com uses cabinet grade plywood exclusively for several reasons
- Plywood is more dimensionally stable than pine lumber
- Plywood does not twist or sag over time
- Plywood is more versatile allowing for notches and drop down areas without reinforcement or extra legs
Every module is predrilled with 4 pocket screw holes at each joint. Pocket hole screws provide:
- A strong joint
- Easier, faster and safer assembly
- Easy and fast benchwork changes
Every module is drilled every 6 inches with a 1 inch hole that is then rounded over giving you plenty of room to run wires and communication cables.
At some point in your life you will probably move to a different home. By being prepared with a layout that can be easily broken down into manageable modules, you will save not only money but also the heartache of having to scrap all of your hard work.
Part of a modular club? ModelRailroadBenchwork.com modules conform to most club standards.
Modelrailroadbenchwork.com’s modules are completely interchangeable and flip-able. If you someday decide to build a new layout you can reuse your existing modules without spending anything!
Standard Modular Benchwork
All Benchwork Features
- All Birch plywood construction
- 3 1/2 inch tall, 3/4 inch thick plywood strips (same as a 1×4)
- 1 inch wiring passages every 6 inches
- 5/16 bolt holes every 6 inches around the perimeter
- All the necessary assembly screws and bolts
- All modules can be used in any direction, even upside down.
- Cross members are spaced a maximum of 16 inces apart.
Rectangular benchwork is great, but if you are looking for rock solid benchwork that will fully support your curved track and fascia boards, curved benchwork is a great investment. Curved benchwork is available 12 standard sizes and can be custom ordered in any size or shape you might need.
Available in 36, 40 and 48 inch heights modelrailroadbenchwork.com’s leg kits come with all of the necessary screws to assemble and install them on your layout. Additionally all ModelRailroadBenchwork.com legs are notched at the top (lap jointed) to properly support your layout from underneath, eliminating stress on your fasteners and more importantly your table surface. Please note: L-shaped legs come pre-assembled.
Complete with a 1inch wire passage hole, adding support to that odd area that a module just will not fit couldn’t be faster or easier.
Risers support track that changes grades or is raised above the benchwork for scenery or grade changes. Risers come 1 3/4 inches wide and are pre drilled with pocket screw holes allowing you to secure your plywood decking from underneath if you wish. Securing your decking from underneath allows you to make changes without damaging your track work. Need something wider? ModelRailroadBenchwork’s girders can be used as risers for multi track right of way support or larger scale model railroads.
Corner braces are a great way to stiffen up any layout to protect it from a careless visitor or to simply ensure your layout stays square.